Well, hello everyone! Sorry this email is late. Monday was a bank holiday here in England, so the library was closed and we could not email. But I love you all and I will definitely keep in touch!
Things have been so good here, and I want to tell you about some Christmas miracles. As I sit here, I feel so full of love and gratitude toward our Saviour and his tender mercies.
Last Monday, we decided to apply a new tactic to the work (I thought of it with the Lord's help). We wrote Christmas cards for every single less active in Salisbury, Amesbury, and Andover. There were a lot and we spent a lot of time putting hard work and effort into the cards.
The whole week was packed with visiting less-active members, since finding people on the streets was not working. We started in Andover, where we visited two elderly ladies who were ill. As we taught, the Spirit was there--their eyes were filled with tears and the light of our Saviour Jesus Christ filled their souls.
Then we were off to do some more (we had 20 teaches planned out for each day, so it was crazy). We continued to go throughout the week filled with smiles and hope, and before Christmas we felt as if we had done our all, but we still did not see any difference. What did we do wrong? Why was it not working? The day after Christmas, we were planning and the phone rang. I answered it, and on the line was a lady named Mary Loadman. She said, "I loved the card you gave me. It's been over 30 years since I have come to church, but I want to come this Sunday." We were so happy, and we continued after Christmas to go and do work with other less-active members.
When Sunday came, Mary was in Sacrament meeting. She was the only less-active to come, because half the branch was gone for Christmas. We only had a sacrament meeting that day--it was really short, but spirit-filled! As I approached her, I wondered what to say. Then when I got to her, she said, "Elder, I'm back in the church for good. Thank you so much." She then told us that her son wanted to meet us and wants to know about the church, so we made arrangements to meet him and to teach him. When we did, the Spirit was so strong again--he accepted to be baptised on the 30th of January! So this too was a miracle!
Right after we taught him, we decided to knock a street. People were so rude, but then we got to this little old man (he is 96). We taught him the Plan of Happiness, and he with tear-filled eyes said, "I bet I'm the only one on the street who let you guys in, and I now know I will see my wife again after 24 years of her being gone from my life. You answered questions I have always wanted to know."
The spirit is key, and if we all live worthy to have it, it will truly bless our lives and the lives of others. I can promise that your families will be strengthened and will not slide off that path that they should be on, if we always have the Spirit with us.
I feel like crying with gratitude this morning. We talked to an 18-year-old boy who wants to meet us this week and investigate the Gospel. Mary's son is a 20-year-old, and he wants to be an Elder really bad. I love this Gospel!
There was one more miracle during Christmas! I received a phone call from my Chinese convert, Fiona. She has 4 of her friends investigating the church and preparing for baptism. And also my bishop in Brixton rang and told me that the Chinese girl (her name is Sharon Xiu, and she is from Hong Kong as well) who me and Elder Cook gave a Book of Mormon to, has read it and was baptised, too!
I literally feel so inadequate and unworthy for all these blessings, and yet the Lord pours his blessings out upon the missionary efforts. I want you all to know I love you, and I want you to remember the peace and joy which the Gospel has brought all of you. I challenge each of you to find 1 family for the missionaries to teach. I know that if you do, you will feel peace at this time when money and budgets are tight. Remember, he will richly bless those who share their testimony . . . what is the point of having one if you do not share it? Bear testimony this Sunday as we fast, and see the Spirit richly bless and guide you in 2010.
I love you all, and I say these things humbly in the name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. AMEN.
Love,
ELDER COON
Things have been so good here, and I want to tell you about some Christmas miracles. As I sit here, I feel so full of love and gratitude toward our Saviour and his tender mercies.
Last Monday, we decided to apply a new tactic to the work (I thought of it with the Lord's help). We wrote Christmas cards for every single less active in Salisbury, Amesbury, and Andover. There were a lot and we spent a lot of time putting hard work and effort into the cards.
The whole week was packed with visiting less-active members, since finding people on the streets was not working. We started in Andover, where we visited two elderly ladies who were ill. As we taught, the Spirit was there--their eyes were filled with tears and the light of our Saviour Jesus Christ filled their souls.
Then we were off to do some more (we had 20 teaches planned out for each day, so it was crazy). We continued to go throughout the week filled with smiles and hope, and before Christmas we felt as if we had done our all, but we still did not see any difference. What did we do wrong? Why was it not working? The day after Christmas, we were planning and the phone rang. I answered it, and on the line was a lady named Mary Loadman. She said, "I loved the card you gave me. It's been over 30 years since I have come to church, but I want to come this Sunday." We were so happy, and we continued after Christmas to go and do work with other less-active members.
When Sunday came, Mary was in Sacrament meeting. She was the only less-active to come, because half the branch was gone for Christmas. We only had a sacrament meeting that day--it was really short, but spirit-filled! As I approached her, I wondered what to say. Then when I got to her, she said, "Elder, I'm back in the church for good. Thank you so much." She then told us that her son wanted to meet us and wants to know about the church, so we made arrangements to meet him and to teach him. When we did, the Spirit was so strong again--he accepted to be baptised on the 30th of January! So this too was a miracle!
Right after we taught him, we decided to knock a street. People were so rude, but then we got to this little old man (he is 96). We taught him the Plan of Happiness, and he with tear-filled eyes said, "I bet I'm the only one on the street who let you guys in, and I now know I will see my wife again after 24 years of her being gone from my life. You answered questions I have always wanted to know."
The spirit is key, and if we all live worthy to have it, it will truly bless our lives and the lives of others. I can promise that your families will be strengthened and will not slide off that path that they should be on, if we always have the Spirit with us.
I feel like crying with gratitude this morning. We talked to an 18-year-old boy who wants to meet us this week and investigate the Gospel. Mary's son is a 20-year-old, and he wants to be an Elder really bad. I love this Gospel!
There was one more miracle during Christmas! I received a phone call from my Chinese convert, Fiona. She has 4 of her friends investigating the church and preparing for baptism. And also my bishop in Brixton rang and told me that the Chinese girl (her name is Sharon Xiu, and she is from Hong Kong as well) who me and Elder Cook gave a Book of Mormon to, has read it and was baptised, too!
I literally feel so inadequate and unworthy for all these blessings, and yet the Lord pours his blessings out upon the missionary efforts. I want you all to know I love you, and I want you to remember the peace and joy which the Gospel has brought all of you. I challenge each of you to find 1 family for the missionaries to teach. I know that if you do, you will feel peace at this time when money and budgets are tight. Remember, he will richly bless those who share their testimony . . . what is the point of having one if you do not share it? Bear testimony this Sunday as we fast, and see the Spirit richly bless and guide you in 2010.
I love you all, and I say these things humbly in the name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. AMEN.
Love,
ELDER COON
PS- Christmas pictures!
Sweet Batman pajamas from Lorena, I love that woman!
Warm blanket from Sannah--thanks, girl!
Christmas at the Brewers--they are amazing! They spoiled us with a tree, stockings, candy, food, gift cards, all sorts of things--I will never forget their love and hospitality.
On the stairs at the Fagg's house. This is a Christmas tradition in my family--taking a picture on the stairs before we come down and open presents
Kids on Christmas morning--that's what it's all about






No comments:
Post a Comment