Monday, December 7, 2009

The Warmth of the Gospel

Well, as the Winter season approaches and as the temperature really drops, our bodies feel cold and freezing . . . but with the truth we have and with the fire of our testimonies, we are truly brightened and warmed as the glow within us burns. Our eyes might be moist, but the flicker they have is like that of a candle burning in the middle of the night. The greatest thing is knowing that our "fire," our "warmth" cannot be put out!

My dad has talked about how Satan's power is useless this holiday season. He has no power to do much of anything as people (Christians and non-believers) celebrate Christmas and have celebrations for our dear Saviour's birth. I can imagine that Satan is trembling and hiding in cavities of rocks to get out of the warmth and the feeling of the Christmas spirit!

Times have been hard here--with it getting dark so early, everything has been a little hard, but "the night is always darkest before the dawn!" Persistence is key, and bearing testimony and sharing it with others. An increased desire to share my testimony with others has been building within me! I truly love this Gospel and the joy it brings to my soul. It has been amazing and sometimes even weird . . . right when I think that I can't go on, or right when I say a small prayer for strength, the Lord answers immediately. It might be someone who reminds me of a brother or sister, or someone will stop and to talk with us and say they appreciate what we do! These simple prayers are giving immediate results as we say them in our heart and keep a prayer with us when times are rough.

I feel like we had to start from square one this moves, and it has been hard, but we are going out and talking to people, knocking on doors, sharing the Christmas spirit and also the joy that knowing families can be together forever. You should sing "Families Can Be Together Forever" in your Family Home Evenings . . . take it in and remember those words you sing! I know that i will share my life with my family through all eternity! Keep your heads held high, and blast the Winter with the torch of your testimony! Share the Gospel with everyone you can, help the missionaries in your area to not have to go out and knock and freeze and feel down . . . help others accept and receive the Gospel!

I wanted to say happy birthday to both of my grandmas, starting with Grandma Coon: Thank you for being an amazing grandma! I will always remember times when you came up to our house and you used to watch us when our parents were out of town. I loved it when we used to go down to Pocatello and stay at your home--there was a feeling of love that was there. I loved getting to go to Ross Park and Central Park and eat yummy food. I love you, Grandma Coon!

Grandma Anderson, I hear you're not doing so well, but I know you will heal, Grandma. Thank you for all the loving memories, and for always allowing Grandpa to come out fishing with us! I remember when we used to come stay at your home when we would go to Utah for Ev's doctor appointments . . . we would go down to the Nickelcade and you always had the greatest toys. Thank you for raising such a lovely mom that I have, who I love so much. And thank you for always being an example to me! I love your hugs--they bring life into anyone. And I love your smile (even if you can pull your teeth out--haha! I loved that when I was little!)

Merry Christmas to both of you, and Happy New Year. Thank you for all you do, and happy birthday!

Everyone, remember this is the season to be jolly! Spread the joy that you have with those who have never had that chance!

I want to share one story this week: we always pass this guy who sits under the underpass of a road. His name is Richard, and he is different from other homeless people we have taught. He has a blanket, and he usually has ONLY SOCKS on. He always has a newspaper in his hand, and always is alone. He can't walk very good either, he struggles when he walks.

These are those people I love dearly. I went and sat down next to him and shared with him the story of the First Vision. I swear, he had a glow that came into his eyes as we gave him the Book of Mormon and such thankfulness in his heart! You could see him fighting back the tears.

I know that if the Saviour had walked by him, He would have healed him. If I had the faith and power that Christ had, I would have done the same. I am still learning and growing to reach my full potential as a missionary.

I know the happiness that the Book of Mormon can bring. It's amazing what a simple little talk with someone about the Book of Mormon can do. You may think people will laugh or mock you for talking to them, but forget what others think! Put Christ first and remember what He would do! Talk to everyone this Christmas--really share the Gospel with them.

I love you all! Have a lovely Christmas! I will call you all on Christmas Day! Be at Mom and Dad's house in the morning so I can talk to you all! I miss you, and love you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Me and the Zone leaders--they spent the night at our flat while they attended their meetings in our area. Elder Barnwell in the middle and I get along really well--we've spent time together before.

Being goofy

Sweet depiction of Lehi's vision that elder Turnbow and I drew :)

No comments:

Post a Comment