Well, this week was moves week, so sorry my email was late. But wow, what a week!
We got to do a lot of service. On Thurs/Fri, we worked with Brother Fountain, ripping up insulation in their loft and wearing jump suits (the Fountains' son is serving a mission, so us helping took a lot of pressure off of the husband, and he is so grateful for us doing that!) On Saturday we had to go move a stove for a less-active member named Katie. I rang the gas man and got him out to help. We did all we could and Katie was so happy. Next day, she phones and says her stove is not working--something with the gas. So, we went round on Sunday and she cooked us a meal and I sorted out the gas and fixed the breaker. Then on Monday, she invited us to come round and paint, so of course we agreed. Then for district meeting we all got asked to paint a disabled assisted living home, so we did that as well. It was great, and we had a paint war and were blasting church music on the iPod while we worked.
The next day, we went to help a lady who had been attacked by her daughter with a knife. It was pretty crazy, but we just tried to help. In the place where it happened, where we get our mail, this girl started a riot, so we calmly and softly talked to her to get her to calm down. She tried to hug us and kiss us--she was way out of it! But we politely asked her to leave and to not harass the workers there. Now all the workers there love us, and whenever we come round they all say "Hey guys!" and love to see us--so it's been awesome!
While we were helping Katie, we found out a lot about her past and things that have happened to her. We learned a lot, and she is such a wonderful person. Me and Elder O'Faulin are both staying here in Newton Abbot. We tried to do some more service to another less-active member. It was his birthday and we bought 2 cards and he loved them. We sang songs with the family and stayed and had a barbecue with them all. One of our investigators is friends with the family as well, so it really was such a good night and people are really opening up!
Some might say, "Well what does this have to do with anything?" Well, if we can learn to step outside our own comfort boxes and help someone else in need then we will be blessed! The Lord sees you are a true disciple of Christ (remember 1 Corinthians 13? "Without charity you are nothing"). Show your love this summer, and strive over the next week to realize how blessed you really are and how you can truly change someone else's life for the better!
I have such a strong testimony that this church is true! I would not be where I am today and as happy as I am without the Gospel. I would truly feel all alone. But because I am a member of the CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS, I know what we should stand for and the standards we should hold! We all need to show others by examples of kindness how much we care.
I leave all these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment