Tuesday, April 27, 2010

To Those Who Feel Lonely

A new week and new challenges! We had a good chat with bishop about our FHE night and had to clear up some confusion---it all went well, and hopefully it will all be good. We have to move it to another night and call it "Missionary Night" or "Ward Activity Night." This way, people can bring less-actives and friends, and allow them to play volleyball, basketball, football, and Frisbee. Best of all, it will strengthen the ward. It's a good opportunity for everyone, we hope it all works out great!

Well, trials and struggles---it seems like there are a lot of those from friends going through divorces, to angry wards, to people feeling lonely, to the downright weird scenarios. There are people leaving the mission who feel lonely and afraid, and who need comfort. That is who I want to direct these random, abstract thoughts to . . . and I hope they will penetrate and teach and uplift by the Spirit.

If someone had told me before my mission that my own family would be strengthened and brought closer together and that everything was going to be fine, I think I would have laughed at them! But right now, I tell you, and bear you my solemn testimony of changes I have seen because I CHOSE to serve the Lord! A family member (not mentioning names) has been so amazing and has had a complete change! The couple has been brought closer together as husband and wife and also close to their kids! This has been a blessing that I have seen. They are preparing to baptize their son and all are happy and continuing to endure trials that come!

Another family member who was lost for a time (okay, maybe not far off, but confused) has been waking my parents up to have gospel study which is unheard of and amazing! Another one who was lost and gone for a time, is coming back to the fold and preparing to make sacred covenants and striving to do the best while she fixes and overcomes her trials! The point is that when we choose to serve the Lord, the blessings come. Not always immediately, or in the way one expects, but I promise they come.

I see a friend who has had a deep hurt in going through a sad divorce. It's got to be hard, and I feel so bad. I pray for her, and I hope all goes well. It's not an easy thing and I know how much it can effect people! Here in England, it is hard to even find one out of three people who are actually still married. As we see, something is happening. The times are changing, and the shifts are coming, and it's very sad! For those of you who feel inadequate, alone, afraid, or scared . . . REMEMBER that God and Jesus Christ love you! You can look to the future and be excited about what you choose to do in this life, especially if you do all you can to learn of our Father in Heaven and his living prophets and apostles! As we do this, a new strength comes into our lives: a confidence, and a protective shield against our troubles.

When I think about this, (picture this with me if you can) I see a little boy in the middle of a destroyed city in the rubble. He is standing there crying, looking for any sign of life. He is looking for his family and he's scared, alone, tired, hungry---he needs protection and guidance. Then he sees his Father or his Mother (whatever one applies to you, and if not, a son or sister or close friend). His tears turn from tears of sadness to tears of joy, and he runs into the embrace of his parents' arms! Picture that, and feel what must run through the child's mind when he is alone and abandoned.

We were all given something amazing: the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of God to be with us! That's something so spectacular and amazing! We are also given the warm assurance that no matter what happens, Christ has been there for you and me. When we pray and read our scriptures (or I might add, God's words), we are filled with assurance, hope, confidence and we feel his loving arms encircling us.

I have felt the cleansing power of the Atonement and I know it's real. I testify that you too can feel the reassurance that all will be well, if you do those things which matter most. Grow close to our Saviour through diligent study and prayer.

I know there is a safe haven for those of you who feel alone, and for those of you who may feel like no one cares. But there always is someone who does, and we can always try better whilst we help others. I testify this to you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love,
Elder Coon

No comments:

Post a Comment