Hey, everyone! First, let me tell you all about my new area and my companion (and then I want to talk about something that seems to be creeping in through the cracks into our families).
Well, my new area in Newton Abbot is amazing. I love it down here (okay, well I love the weather . . . I still have not gotten to meet the ward properly so that has been hard). We have had loads of great success--we picked up six new investigators, and we have two preparing for baptism now, which has been such an amazing blessing. My companion is great and I love him. Seriously, he rocks--he has made me realize how much I take things for granted. He has had struggles and still does, but we know that we were put together so we can learn by and through and from the spirit.
Well, my new area in Newton Abbot is amazing. I love it down here (okay, well I love the weather . . . I still have not gotten to meet the ward properly so that has been hard). We have had loads of great success--we picked up six new investigators, and we have two preparing for baptism now, which has been such an amazing blessing. My companion is great and I love him. Seriously, he rocks--he has made me realize how much I take things for granted. He has had struggles and still does, but we know that we were put together so we can learn by and through and from the spirit.

The beach is close, and we have loads of parks and have met loads of youth who would love to have us come out and play sports. I showed off some basketball skills (haha--against English kids, that's not saying much!)
Well, let's talk about the important things: why does there have to be trials? There must be opposition in all things, it says in 2nd Nephi. But how do we deal with it? Do you all remember when I told you about the 90/10 principle? Only 10% of what happens each day is from others, and the other 90% is from how we react.
Well, let's talk about the important things: why does there have to be trials? There must be opposition in all things, it says in 2nd Nephi. But how do we deal with it? Do you all remember when I told you about the 90/10 principle? Only 10% of what happens each day is from others, and the other 90% is from how we react.
Some things that will help: Are you saying family prayers morning and night? Do we really take time to study the scriptures? I mean, come on, why are we on earth? To prepare for what is to come. We have been given so much power and restored truth, and we can have an armor of protection around our families (physical and spiritual protection) from things that can destroy our lives, our families, and everything we hold most dear.
Look into your children's faces, or your siblings . . . have you done all you can to help them? We need to really take the words of our Savior and use them in our daily lives together as families and as individuals.
Look into your children's faces, or your siblings . . . have you done all you can to help them? We need to really take the words of our Savior and use them in our daily lives together as families and as individuals.
The world will never get any better--the opposition will always be there! I feel like President Uchtdorf said it best when he talked about patience in the priesthood session of conference. I have really thought about how impatient I am about dumb things--when McDonalds takes too long, when I get caught in traffic, when I have to wait for an appointment, when I have to wait to hop in the shower, or to e-mail home. We are all so selfish and we need time to relax and change our perspective.

Sister Shamo shared an experience with the zone here. She talked about Joseph Smith--he was asked to bless 23 very ill babies and to heal them. He prayed, and started to bless each one holding them in his arms. After he blessed 19 of them, he turned pale and looked very sickly. He could not proceed with the last blessings. A fellow apostle asked Joseph "Why could you not bless them, what happened?"
Joseph then explained, relating the story of Jesus Christ being touched by the woman with the 12-year "issue of blood". When Christ asked, "Who touched me?" the apostles wondered, and said, "Thou seest the multitude thronging and sayest who touched thee?" Well, He continued to explain about how much virtue had drained out of Him--he lost virtue. Virtue is the gift of life and the giver of life! Joseph Smith explained that if we knew how much power God would give to those who are virtuous, we would all try much harder to be virtuous.

Sister Shamo shared an experience with the zone here. She talked about Joseph Smith--he was asked to bless 23 very ill babies and to heal them. He prayed, and started to bless each one holding them in his arms. After he blessed 19 of them, he turned pale and looked very sickly. He could not proceed with the last blessings. A fellow apostle asked Joseph "Why could you not bless them, what happened?"
Joseph then explained, relating the story of Jesus Christ being touched by the woman with the 12-year "issue of blood". When Christ asked, "Who touched me?" the apostles wondered, and said, "Thou seest the multitude thronging and sayest who touched thee?" Well, He continued to explain about how much virtue had drained out of Him--he lost virtue. Virtue is the gift of life and the giver of life! Joseph Smith explained that if we knew how much power God would give to those who are virtuous, we would all try much harder to be virtuous.
We need to do all we can to strengthen virtue in our families--it will be like Kevlar against a bullet! It will protect us day and night and the "alarm systems" within us (the Spirit), will warn us and keep us clear of all danger that comes our way! I testify all this is true, and I say these things humbly in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Love,
Love,
ELDER ELI JACOB COON





No comments:
Post a Comment