Wow, how about conference! It was pretty amazing, huh? I loved it. We all had a sweet weekend of conference . . . we went down to Exeter on Saturday to watch the Saturday morning session, then Sunday we watched the priesthood session from 10-12 AM, then from 1-3 we watched the Saturday afternoon session, then from 4-6 we watched the Sunday morning session, and 9-11 was the final session . . . it's crazy! We had a lot of fun--me and Elder Church hung out together (he is way cool--he is from good ol' Las Vegas, and a very close friend now). The last few days have been conference and hangin' out as missionaries, so it was a lot of fun.
I thought this was honestly the best conference ever! I really loved Elder Holland's talk, and also all of the priesthood session. It was amazing--I hope that I will be able to remember all that I learned! I also really enjoyed hearing all the talks about families . . . I felt the Spirit as they talked about how to strengthen every single one. The world will be strengthened as we strengthen our families, which are under attack. I hope that everyone who listened recognized the need of strengthening families. The speakers told us how, too: have scripture study daily, make time to go to the temple as often as you can, and bear testimony often to your children (not just at fast and testimony meeting, but as often as you can around the home).
The lusts and the damaging things in the world are horrible, and we need to be strong to be able to deal with all the wicked and the evil in the world. We need to do all we can to always carry the Spirit of the Lord with us. I do not want to preach, or tell you things you do not already know, but I know that the prophets are telling us to strengthen families for a reason. I cannot explain how sad it is for so many families. We are teaching at least five families of single parents, and it is so hard for them. Life is just crazy--family structure and family values are crumbling! The foundation of testimony is not there, and people are leaving the truth--they are climbing into deep dark caverns in which there is no light. We need to gain a stronger testimony of the Saviour to fight against these trends.
In our families, how many of us say prayers morning and night? How many sit down at least two times a week and have a FAMILY meal? How often do we pick up the scriptures and actually read them? How often do we bear our testimonies? Now some other questions, how much time do you spend on entertainment? How often are you too busy for family and sit at work? How often do we get too caught up to listen to members of our family? How much time do we all spend on television, computers, games, magazines, how we look, or what others think of us?
I know we all have these issues--but let's make a change now! Let's not just say we will do it, let's make it a daily routine. Write down anything that will remind you do all you can to prepare yourself, for if Christ came tomorrow how would you tell him you had prepared? Could you look Him in the face and say you knew Him? Could you say you adequately studied about the Saviour? Could you really honestly run up and hug Him, or would it be hard for you to even look in His face?
I again echo all the testimonies of the prophets and apostles. They said we need to be more concerned in our homes and families. This is where spiritual growth, family strength, and choices are predetermined--by what you teach and live in your homes. Be the example, and do all you can.
I hope all is going well back home. Let me tell you all a little about my life in good ol' England. It's so crazy down here in the Southwest of England . . . we have rolling hills and we also have the ocean really close! We walk everywhere (that's a bonus to keep me fit and healthy!) Life in Newton Abbott is hard because I have not been able to meet any of the members yet, and we will not get to for a few weeks, because this next week is stake conference. So it's been hard to meet anyone, but I will keep trying to meet the people and get to know them. Until then, I will keep working! I asked ward mission leader about the area. They had only one baptism for the whole of last year! I made some calls to get to know people, and did all I could to meet up with people. I also got lists of less-actives to work with, and lists of who they have visited. We went through old referrals, and old teaching records. We will visit with and try to teach a lot of these people . . . it will be great fun to see what we can do this week!
I love you all so dearly, and I wish my family could really know the great, deep love I have for all of them! I really do care about all of you and hope and pray that we will be prepared for when the Lord comes again. I know this church is true, and I'm excited for my new area and can't wait to see how the Lord will bless us as we thank Him day by day for all the good He does for us. I hope for and pray for the best for all of you. I say these things humbly in Jesus Christ's name, amen.
Love,
ELDER ELI COON
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment