Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tough Times

Wow, what a week! We have been making the final preparations for the baptism of the wonderful Gibson family. On Sunday, we took them to the temple and they watched the Joseph Smith film. They loved it and everything about the temple--WOW!

Well also we had about 15 others there (all investigators and less actives, a very good turnout). We just loved the visit with them all. We had such an amazing feeling while we were there and it really was something special.

During the week, we taught them about tithing, coupled with obeying the commandments. Well, these were hard principles to take--of course tithing is a hard principle if you're not used to it. God gives us everything and only asks for 10% back of what He already gave us--it is easy to understand when you've grown up knowing this and when you can try to look at it this way.

The next day, Lorraine called and sounded down. We talked and said we would come over. We went to her house and the whole family said they were backing out. We gave Lorraine a blessing and she was quite sad about it all--she was in tears as we talked, but the Spirit was there.

We shared the story of the little boy who was running a race: the boy stumbles, and each time he stumbles the crowd laughs at him, but he sees his dad cheer him on. So, he gets up and runs. Again he stumbles, and again there is mocking and jeering taunts from all directions. Well, he sees his dad, and hears him encourage him to get up. The boy limps as he runs and tries to catch up--he falls again. He wants to just give up, stop running, and quit. But then the father comes and cheers him on in the stands. The audience applauds as the boy in first place crosses the line. But when the boy who was very last limped across the finish line, you would have thought he won the gold! God does not care who is last or who is first--He cares about how we ENDURE!

The family is now not getting baptized. We expressed our love to them and left it for them to pray about. I am so sad, though. It felt as though an anchor had landed on my chest so I could not breathe. I sang "Be Still My Soul" to them, as I choked back tears! I feel like I caught a glimpse of heaven with this family, and then it was all torn away. But I have been praying that I can see them again on the other side. I did my part to share the Gospel so they could understand and make correct decisions . . . now it is in the Lord's hands. Of course I am sad, but in a very real sense I feel my Father's love, and I can say I will not give up!

I love you all, and hope that the Lord will bless all your lives. I am thankful for the Gospel, for the simplicity and the guidance it gives me. I love this Church, and I know God lives and He does comfort us when we need it the most.


I will not give up. I have scars from my past that have healed and have been changed--the Atonement is very real, and as we embrace its effects we can be cleansed from all iniquity and all problems. I know this to be true!

I love you all,
Elder Coon

No comments:

Post a Comment