Well, let me tell you a little about this past week:
We did not have a district meeting, we had a Zone Training Day on Saturday and it was amazing! There was a great spiritual aspect, and I felt like it brought so much learning and growth to me. We then had an amazing day at Stake Conference where Elder Erich W. Kopischke of the Seventy spoke and we had a new stake president called.
I had been focusing this week on making prayers more meaningful--trying to really get into prayer and to use the language such as "Thee, Thy, Thou,"and as I have, I have felt my love for the area increased. In our companionship, we focused on trying to strengthen each other, to make our work more effective and to really try all we can to make a difference. What it came down to was prayer. Sometimes we are too caught up to really notice things, and that's why I love the saying "Consider the lilies of the field." We get too caught up with life and we do not realize the things around us that are of so much more importance!
Elder Barker and I learn so much from each other day by day. We continue to learn and to grow--not only our testimonies, but also faith and courage and obedience!
I am sure we can all do better at concentrating on our prayers and on what matters most. Ask the Lord to help you see a miracle each day, and then record that miracle. I testify that amazing things will happen! Can you imagine what would happen if you wrote down a lot of your own spiritual feelings, and your daily miracles? You could use these records to help yourself and others.
A few years ago, I was not going to come on a mission. I was scared and unsure about whether I could do it or not. What helped me was my Dad's and my Mom's missionary journals. I found them in the library downstairs, and I read them. I saw pictures, I received insights, I gained knowledge. I noticed the complete love they had for the Lord, and I thought "Why can't I have that?" It's because I wasn't doing all that I had been taught. I did not read and pray, I did not record the miracles that happen each day in a journal. I was selfish, and I worried more about the world than I did about my God. What led to my conversion was to question everything and to read the Book of Mormon! I prayed and asked God, "Is this all real?" (Yes, I really did question . . . sad to say) I got little notes from my Mom with talks & quotes and these all helped.
I decided to receive my patriarchal blessing, and I prayed earnestly to know if these things were true! I saw members of my family falling, and a light gone from their eyes . . . I needed to know if it was true or if I was wasting my time.
Answers were received and I gained truth--a sure truth. I prayed and I acted, and the key part, I feel, was when I prayed "Father, please show me what path Thou wouldst have me take." I did not ask Him to show me a sign, or to do something, I asked, "Father, if it be Thy will, please show me the truth--guide me and direct me."
I feel like prayer is so automatic sometimes. We sit down to eat and bless the food, and we say a rote prayer. Are we really thankful for the food we have? That others go without? Or when we are called upon to say a prayer--are we battling in our minds "Oh man, why do I have to say the prayer?" Maybe we're not really understanding that we can connect to Heaven instantly . . . not randomly, or delayed but immediately!
Prayers of faith are answered immediately or within a few days. God does answer our prayers. Lately I have been thinking a lot about my conversion, and why did it take so much time? Why did I not know until I was close to being nineteen? It's because He says "Ask, knock, seek." We are the ones who have to take the first step . . . He is right at the door. Do it, and see the blessings happen!
My conversion was not an easy one--I had struggles, but it was worth it. I testify to you that I now KNOW there is a God. I know that my FATHER in HEAVEN loves me, and that prayers are answered by the faith of those who pray! We all need to look at our lives in a wider view and enjoy God's creations. We will bless not only our own lives, but we become like our Saviour and be better able to bless others.
Remember to write down a miracle each day, and if you are having a hard day you can look back on these and they will lift you up. I promise you that if you do this, a new light will come into your eyes and you will see in a more eternal and spiritual aspect than in a lame, mediocre, worldly aspect. I promise that God does and will answer prayers, and He loves His children. I now know that this Church is true, and that we can all receive personal revelation by doing the things mentioned above. I testify that God lives.
I love you all, and say these things humbly in the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN.
LOVE,
ELDER COON
PS- we spent our P-Day with the district at Bournemouth on the beach--it was a great way to get recharged for the week!








No comments:
Post a Comment