I know that the Book of Mormon came forth the way Joseph Smith said it came forth, and I know that! I have read many books in my life, and I know that a lot of you family members have read many amazing books in your life that have helped you learn and grow. But no matter what book I read, I have learned just a couple of things out of them. But the Book of Mormon is the only book that came forth through an ANGEL of God! It was translated by the gift and power of God. I am not saying this to talk down to anyone, but to help you understand what this means as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!
As we all know, we have been given the Word of God within this book.I know that God hold us accountable for what we do with this book. President Monson recently warned against "getting caught up "in the thick of thin things," and we do not take time for what matters most.
I encourage you all to pick up the Book of Mormon and read it. Pray about how to receive revelation from its pages. You can use it as a guideline for our times! Read in Helaman about what was happening to the people before the Saviour came, and see how it relates exactly to today. It might shock you, but will help you realize the great truth that we have. If we study and learn from the testimony of ancient prophets, we will see the blessings that will pour out upon us.
I love the Book of Mormon! I want to share story of about a man who one day fell asleep, and when he awoke his body woke up and his eyes did not. He did not know what caused his blindness, and the doctors were somewhat skeptical and said it may last for a few days. Well, days went to weeks, and weeks went to months, and he realized he was permanently blind. He raised his kids in the Gospel, and he had a wonderful family, but now he was seriously considering taking his own life so he would not have to deal with the strain of being blind. Something happened, though. Each day he felt these little hands on his legs his arms and hugging him and his children said, "Daddy, we love you and we would not want any other Daddy!" He welled up in tears and decided to make the most of what he could. He went to the University of Utah and he studied law. He passed with perfect scores and excelled above all the others. His family grew, but it was sad sometimes, and he said, "I never got to say my newborn's face." (The week he went blind, he had a baby girl born into the family). What a challenge! What a trial he had to face! What made the difference?
He knew and understood what the Gospel taught--he knew he would see again, because of the teachings about the resurrection! There are so many people with struggles, challenges and difficulties far beyond what you and I can imagine. But we have the Truth, and we have a duty to share the Gospel of peace with others. I know that if we do not, then we will be held accountable.
God is a fair and just God. I just wonder what it would be like if I had to stand before him and tell Him or explain why I did not learn of Him, or why I did not go save people and help others feel the joy of the Gospel. Remember, we will have a "bright recollection of all our guilt." I want to be able to go up and give my Saviour a hug and hear Him tell me, "Well done, thou faithful servant."
But for right now, I want to be as Samuel and say "Speak Lord, for thy servant heareth." We all need to step it up, and we all need to try harder. I'm certainly not perfect, nor will I ever be! I understand the world is hard. My dad once said "Son, there is always somebody better then you, but always remember there is always always someone worse off then you." Which means we can achieve so much more as we help others and forget about ourselves. We need to quit wanting and give instead--that is the whole reason you and I are on this earth.
I know this Church is true! I know we have a living prophet. I testify to you that the Book of Mormon is the word of God! It did come forth the way Joseph Smith said it came forth. I earnestly plead for all of you to really listen as the prophets speak in General Conference . . . see how to apply their teachings! I am so grateful for my Saviour, Jesus Christ, and His Atonement. I can say I know with all my soul that the cleansing power of the Atonement is real, and that we can be saved through the mercy of our Lord! Don't go into Conference saying "They teach the same principles over and over," instead, ask "Why do they teach the same principles over and over?" It's because WE are not doing or acting on what they are telling us--otherwise we would probably get different subjects.
I love you all and I plead with the Lord to bless all your lives and your families! Lean on the Book of Mormon, remember it is an anchor to your testimonies. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN.





No comments:
Post a Comment