Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Power in Obedience

Well, let me tell you a little about my week and all the things that have been happening. All of the dates we have set are right on schedule: Venessa is for sure getting baptized this weekend and we are looking forward to that! And we are hoping to baptize our new investigator, Rich. He is such a cool guy--he is 27, and has had a pretty rough life. He moved out when he was ten and has lived on his own even since then. Rich is an heavy alcoholic, but there is power in the Atonement and I want to talk about the miracles we have seen with him. Rich has been having the hardest time overcoming the strong urge to drink--he keeps hittin' the bottle. It is so sad, but we have been working and praying and fasting and doing all we can to help him to overcome these temptations. Last night, we saw him and had a spiritual teach. The member that came with us said something that impacted me. He said, "Rich, enjoy this journey you're on. Even if you fail, get right back up and try harder, but enjoy the journey of change."

As we approach this Thanksgiving and Christmas season, I hope we can all enjoy the journey of change! Help people in need this Thanksgiving, and do all you can to help them feel of your love, which ultimately is the Saviour's love. I can't tell you how happy I am right now--the Spirit that I have felt in the past 4 weeks since my transfer has been like the fire of Heaven burning within me.

We have also been working with a less-active member whose name is Sara. Last Thursday we read the sacrament prayers and really broke them down to help her understand them. She committed to come to church, and she was there! She really was touched by the talks there--she had tears in her eyes as she took the sacrament. I saw the Atonement take part in her life and the joy that filled her inside!

This Sunday in England was Remembrance Sunday, which commemorates the end of the First World War. We had a sweet three minutes of silence, and everybody here in town was dressed in their uniforms. It was so powerful and moving to think about the things that our servicemen and women do for us, and it really got me thinking about others as I focused on listening to the voice in my heart and mind. It led me to think about the weather on Sunday--it was pouring down rain outside, and was dark and gloomy, but then I thought of kids in the poor countries of the world and how they love the rain. They might be crying with joy when they get rain because they have the chance to drink clean water. It gets so cold at night here, and when I go outside, I see people sleeping under bushes and hedges, yet some of them are happy because they have a dog to sleep with them, or they just realize there is more to life than worldly possessions that you and I hold.


I really believe that this Christmas can be a special holiday if we focus on helping those in need. The power of giving thanks, and the power of the Atonement work as we help others. Our sins will be forgiven--remember that charity is "the pure love of Christ." Think about it as you go out tonight or tomorrow . . . remember all the things that we have been given and help lift others who never got what we got.

We can see that our obedience is paying off as we approach the baptisms of these two wonderful people. Our obedience has led us to give selfless acts of service, and increased kindness toward others. It really means so much!

I love and care about all of you so much. Remember to show the true meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas this year! Think of the pioneers who left their homes and everything. They waded through icy rivers, losing so much, without the comfort of sitting next to a heater or even a fire . . . yet they were still happy because of Christ in their lives. They truly knew what sacrifice was. I know they had angels round about them.

Things like television, computers, and video games are luxuries that the pioneers could never have dreamed of. Think of how much we have! There are so many less fortunate, and I challenge you all to go out and to make a difference this holiday season.

I am sending a tape home to my family this Christmas, and I would love it if you would all listen to it--send it around to everybody. I love you all. My testimony has grown so much, and I want you all to know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ, and that it has been restored through a prophet--not just any prophet, the one who changed the history of the world. A mere farm boy who had little formal education. Remember, God does not call the qualified--he qualifies those He calls. I leave these things with you in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment